Personally, I have never understood, the reasoning beyond the enormous, apparent attraction, Trump’s supporters, appear to have, for him. However, it is obvious, his core supporters, are amongst the most loyal, devoted, and believing, of people! While, there are numerous reasons, probably, for this support, I believe, one of the essential reasons, is the desire for change, which they believed, would make things, better for them, and aligned with certain feelings, political beliefs, etc, especially, regarding, getting – rid – of many of the norms, which most Americans have taken – for – granted, because it disagreed with their personal/ political agenda, social and religious beliefs, and/ or, based on bigotry/ prejudice, etc, or feeling, they were left – out, and saw this President, as some sort of heroic, savior. With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 8 norms, which America must restore and preserve, if we are to remain, the voice of democracy, freedom, human rights, etc, throughout the world.
1. Ethics/ integrity, in government and its leaders: Shouldn’t we expect, and demand, that public officials, maintain, and conform, to a high ethical behavior, and consistently, proceed, with the utmost degree of genuine, absolute integrity, even when it may not serve one’s personal/ political agenda? It seems, for these past four years, many seemed, to, either, not care, or be willing to overlook this essential, character flaw! Since political leaders are human, they will have personal flaws, and weaknesses, as well as strengths, but, since we have an ethical code, we must demand, it be enforced!
2. Following the Hatch Act: The Hatch Act was enacted to ensure, a reduction in conflicts of interest, and, that, political appointments, as well as officials, did not abuse their power, by performing political acts, such as campaigning, using government property, etc, for other, than, public service – related, activities! How often, in the past four years, have we witnessed, apparent, overt, violations, of this law?
3. Real facts instead of Trump Fake Facts: While he, often, accuses, anyone, which disagrees with him, as fake news/ facts, political fact – checkers, state, Trump has articulated more fake news, than anyone else! How do we benefit, when/ if, a public official, consistently, refuses to tell the whole truth?
4. Avoiding conflicts of interest: When, Jimmy Carter, had to give up his beloved, peanut farm, when he was President, and, others, had to make other similar sacrifices, this administration, appears, to have made little effort, to avoid, either, the appearance of, or actual, conflicts of interest!
5. Separation of Church and State: Our Founding Fathers, determined, this nation, should not, have any national religion, but, at the same time, religious freedom, should be a guaranteed right. They felt, each individual, should be entitled to worship, as they wish, and/ or, have the right, to be an agnostic, and/ or, atheist! The recent tendency, to attract, the Evangelical voters, and encourage, religious leaders to pursue political endorsements/ actions, seems to oppose that concept.
6. Balance of Powers: This nation decided it did not want a monarch, and, thus, created, a Balance of Powers, between, the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial Branches. However, during the present administration, we have witnessed, this President, attempt to go – around, the legislature, especially in the areas of the aggressive use of Executive Actions, being adversarial towards protecting the environment, and Climate, transferring funds, to his pet project (the Southern Wall), although, Congress had voted against, it, etc.
7. Greater good/ bipartisanship: Isn’t it about time, we demanded our leaders, prioritize the greater good, and proceed, seeking some sort of bipartisan agreement, by encouraging a meeting – of – the – minds, for the common good?
8. Constitutional guarantees: Our Constitution grants several guarantees, which we must demand, are, all, enforced, and protected, and repudiate, any sort of selective enforcement, of just, some of these!
We are at a crossroads, where, either, we restore, protect and preserve, America’s norms, or lose our identity, and way – of – life! Will you demand this restoration of these, before it’s too late?